Summer is just around the corner, which means the annual search for those perfect sun-kissed locks is starting up once again. Whether you want to go golden hued like Gisele, or bright and blonde like Blake (Lively), nothing says “we’re ready for vacation” more than a warm tan and freshly-lightened locks. But how can you…
I spoke to my friend who is the firm behind the brand on what happens behind the scenes for HAIR at the Miss USA pageant and wanted to share how the stylist created this awesome hairdo on the winner last week Deshauna Barber
As the official hair care sponsor for the 2016 Miss USA Pageant, Farouk Systems (aka CHI hair products )Artist, Nik Martel was responsible for creating Deshauna Barber’s crowning look. To achieve her look, Nik Martel shares her step by steps, tips and products used.
- BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray
- CHI Royal Treatment Pearl Complex
- CHI Royal Treatment Rapid Shine
Step by step:
Preparation: First take a few drops of a CHI Royal Treatment Pearl Complex and evenly distribute it throughout the whole head lightly with hands and a CHI Paddle Brush. This adds moisture and shine as well as heat protection to the hair before styling.
Tip: When working in an air conditioned arena combined with a dry desert climate such as Las Vegas, moisture is key to tame fly-a-ways and static electricity. These can be your worst enemy with HD television.
- Section hair into four sections (sides, top and back) and secure with clips.
- Starting in the back nape area, take a 1 1/4-inch sub-section and spray both sides with BioSilk Natural Hold Hairspray. This is going to keep your set smooth, bouncy and under control while adding extra moisture and heat protection.
3.Using the Dura CHI 1 1/4″ Marcel Curling Iron roll your first sub-section at the bottom of the nape upwards clip into place.
- Using the same sub-sectioning technique, Dura CHI Curling Iron and BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray, curl the next subsection downward and clip. Keep working up to the crown in this manner rotating the direction for each sub-section.
- On the sides, use the same technique as at the nape. The first sub-section at the bottom of the sides will be upward while the remaining will be curled downward.
- The top section will be curled and pinned horizontally back and clip.
- Let hair cool to room temperature before removing pins. In this case, Deshauna needed to return to rehearsals which allowed the hair to cool and set for additional time. This is always ideal to secure a stronger curl.
- After removing clips, spray the hair lightly with CHI Royal Treatment Rapid Shine. Use an oval small style CHI Paddle Brush to gently brush out curls and start forming into place.
- To finish, spray one last time with BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray. This will lock in the moisture and shine while letting the hair still flow with a natural bounce.
Photo Credit: Instagram @nik_martel
About NIK MARTEL – FAROUK SYSTEMS:
Nik has worked in the beauty industry for over 20 years with a passion for color. She has worked as a color technical manager and regional trainer for one the biggest chain salons in the industry. She is currently works in a salon and is a member of Farouk Systems Educational Team for 8 years as well as a CAT member. Nik loves to share her passion for hair at classes and hair shows demonstrating her cutting, coloring, styling and style finishing.
Lucky you I have some great tips from a hot stylist just for you. I never know how she is going to look. She is like a rainbow of hair personalities and hair cuts. ISN’T SHE GORGEOUS? Now enjoy her simple mane secrets and trends she wants to share with you.
What do you think is the secret for shiny fabulous bombshell hair?
1. I Always recommend you use a good conditioner or leave in treatment and a heat protectant before styling hair with heat. Then a great shine spray to top it off.
What’s hot for fall in hair this year?
2. The latest hair trends this season are the ombre and the long bob. The ombre is great for those clients who don’t want the hassle of coming every 6 weeks for a touch up. It will grow out and still look beautiful. The long bob gives you a classic look with out all the weight of long hair.
What colors rule and are rocking on the runway?
3. Red is in this fall . Auburn, reds, and mahogany colors are a great fall trends. They also work well when blended into an ombre.
Is a deep conditioning treatment for everyone’s hair?
4. Depends on client and environment conditions . Dryer environments and hair more frequent.
What products do you LOVE and are you professionally recommending for hair?
5. Chocolate Blonde highlights shampoo is a great highlight shampoo for blondes to keep brassy highlights at bay. Followed up with Color Artistry protein conditioner as a leave in treatment.
Got Questions on your hair? Follow Instagram this hair genius:strong>THE_DUCHESS_HAIRDESIGNS
Kena Shea is located in sunny Jacksonville Florida and looks forward to assisting you and answering any hair or product questions from you.
It was showtime for the International Esthetics,Cosmetics and Spa Show as well as the International Beauty Show. March 9th,10th and 11th.
I guest spoke and beauty reported LIVE from the show floor!Anyone who is anyone in the world of hair,skin and nails was exhibiting there.Attendees are professionals who come from around the world to learn,buy for their salons and spas and of course PLAY!
I was Tweeting and on Instagram sharing all the edible and shopping fun on the streets of NYC. NEW YORK CITY is an inspiring city,breathtaking and where dreams are made.
Hope you had fun and read and watched my tweets @beautyconcierge and on Instagram too at NOREEN KISS YOUNG!
I can’t wait to share the latest and greatest in beauty~ Stay tuned for my SPRING Beauty and Travel report from my trip now in NYC.
BABY it is cold outside from 20 degrees to 66 and now snow and cold again. It is a bumpy winter ride.
I mean a Victoria’s Secret angel. Did you get a chance to watch the infamous fashion show the other night? I did and I loved the way their skin glistened like snow. I didn’t love the way their bones popped out of their flesh.BUT I do know how to get the look of an angel.
FACTS that you may not know!
The show took 26 makeup artists,22 hair stylists and 8 nail technicians to doll them up!Some of the makeup artists are just in charge of making their bodies TAN and even more lean. I know this as one of my girlfriends does the spray tanning!They say the show was seen around the globe in one hundred eighty five countries.
If you want to bring sexy back into your skin …try my easy and pretty steps! My clients love them and I know you will too!Feed your skin from the inside out. Kale Smoothies were some of the Angels secrets for prettier skin and for feeling healthier.
Wash your face well at night but not with your basic cleaners and a wash cloth.Add sonic cleansing to your life. I recommend and love Clarisonic it polishes my skin and makes my pores look so much better.
Violife toothbrush will clean your teeth and freshen your breath so much better than a standard toothbrush.It’s getting a lot of celebrity attention and works magic in your mouth.
Supersmile toothpaste the FIRST whitening toothpaste by world renowned dentist Dr. Smigel. Brush up on your beauty booty and add this to your beauty regime.
Glamglow mud IS an awesome mask for clear and toned skin. It’s got a big buzz in the beauty and fashion world.Everybody’s using it.Anybody whose anybody.
GO FOR A FACIAL…like a dental hygenist cleans your teeth getting your face professionally cleaned is addictive and your skin will show it and love you for it.
Wear a super shiny gorgeous clear gloss over ANY lipstick or by itself.It will give your lips a youthful sexy look.
Don’t paint your lashes tube them. Blinc mascara is a mascara that does not run or give you ring around the eye smears. Rinses off well without a a special eye makeup remover.
A shimmering metallic lotion or makeup product in a stick,wand or bottle used to accent and highlight your face with a tocuh of shimmer like an angel.
Apply it to your cheekbones tops and eyebrow bone and top of your upper lip cneter where the cupids bow is.
Agave Nectar is a lovely luxurious elixir to soften your skin and to give it a glow.It’s made by FarmHousefreshgoods.
Liquid Nylons is a shimmery skin treatment lotion that is more like a magic potion.Used on the legs in the bedroom or when you don’t feel like wearing hose. It tints your legs with a warm lumnious glow. It is another one of my biggest sellers. From teens to glam ma’s! My clients love the look it gives their legs.
Live,LOVE and sparkle all over the holidays!
Just my quick take on the SAG Awards 2013. I was so happy to not be on a makeup assignment and be able to sip Chablis and watch them on TV.
Did you happen to watch the show too?
Actress Jennifer Lawrence looked amazing her dress was a classic and unique mix in a midnight blue hue.Her red lips and hair shouted HOLLYWOOD too!
Nicole Kidman’s hair which an insider told me was done by hot hair stylist David Babaii did that amazing new solid bob haircut with a sleek,super straight gorgeous style.
The hair products used are my new find It&ly Hairfashion products. I love this brand!
Her black illusion dress with flowers was amazing.
Kerry Washington looked beautiful in a white dress that looked like a bustier too.She always looks amazing~
Naomi Watts hair was like a sexy old Hollywood beauty and dazzling in chic sleek dress.
Jane Krakowski lit the red carpet with her orange dress.
Sofia Vergara looked stunning in Donna Karan and as always she rocked her decollete!!!
The unique accessory on a celebrity was Penelope Cruz with 4 tiny gold beads in her ear…I thought they were jewels but later learned they were accupuncture beads to center and calm her spirit.
I must try those beads with my accupuncturist. Did you see them?
I loved,loved, loved the Lorraine Schwartz lavender jade necklace that Amanda wore!
The STAR whose dress missed the mark? Julianne Moore…designer dress that did NOTHING for her BODY,breasts or face. Where was her stylist?
What did you think? Share with me!
Lessons learned on the red carpet…celebrity or not. Don’t let the dress wear you. YOU should wear the dress!